Monday 18 December 2017

Powerful Portable Car Jump Starter UK

DBPOWER-500AMP
Why you need a powerful portable car jump starter in the UK. The recent spell of cold weather that's hit the UK over the last week has been the cause of huge disruption to many services, including buses, trains, food deliveries and postal delays. Driving conditions have also been really bad. With snow and ice covering most of the roads, it's been a treacherous time for those who have had no choice but to brave the snow and hit the road. Of course, with snow and ice everywhere, that's to be expected.

And being out and about, I personally seen a lot of wheels spinning / skidding on ice, and a fair share of people just stuck in one spot because there was no traction for the wheels to grip on to. But then there is the other people, the ones who didn't even manage to get the car off the drive due to it failing to start. In freezing cold conditions, the number one reason the car will not start is simply down the battery going flat because of the massive temperature drop draining all the power.

Thankfully, there is an easy fix for this, providing you have the right equipment for the job. Now, most people will have some form of car starter at their home tucked away in a shed or garage. But usually this is a car battery charging unit that's rather big in size and needs to be plugged in the mains to generate its power to charge the battery. These types are great if you can't start your car and the car is near your home, such as sitting on the driveway, etc. In this position all you have to do is get an extension lead, plug the battery charger in, and take it out to the car. The mains operated car starters do take a while to charge up the battery, but will do the job.

But what if you are nowhere near your home and your car battery is dead, or dies somewhere along the line.. This is where portable jump starters really fill the gap between chargers that need to be used at a certain location and one that is totally mobile and can be taken with you, and used to save the day, anywhere you may end up while out on the road. If you are unsure of how portable jump starters work, they are basically a mobile power pack that stores energy (similar to a normal rechargeable battery), which can be used to not only start your car numerous times from one charge, but also charge other devices like mobile phones, tablets and just about anything else that has a suitable connection port. Most of them also have a torch / flash light which has a few different flash options.

While I was writing this post yesterday, and then came back to it today, I got caught out myself today. How ironic. I've been moving items from one place to another with my car. Because of this, everything was taken out of the car by family member to make more space, including the safety essentials. One being my Guluman portable jump starter. The weather has been cold here in the UK, and after all the back and forth moving of items my car has been sitting unmoved and without being started for quite a few days. I get in my car, turn the key and it starts without fault. The petrol station I usually use to fill up is only about a 5 minute drive away. I get there and wait in line behind a huge van that looks like its used to transport scaffolding around.

This open back truck is so long that it is basically taking up the two pumps at the fill up point. I park my car behind, turn it off and wait for him to finish filling up. Only when he's done and I try to start my car, it won't start! I just couldn't believe it. After several attempts it was clear that it wasn't going to start. I then had to put the car in neutral and push it backwards out of the petrol lane and park it up. It was at this point that I realised all my equipment had been taken out the car to make space. Great, now I'm stuck at the petrol station. I started going round to people filling up and asking them if they had a car starter they could borrow me. All of them said they didn't own one.

I then went into the petrol garage and asked the guys at the counter. They proceeded to try and sell me a brand new AA branded one from off the shelf. I said no, because I already own one and didn't want to fork out £30 there and then for another one. In the end one of the cashiers let me use his own one from his car, which was very kind of him. Needless to say, the car started instantly. But wow, this is just an example of what can happen and how I was caught off guard. And I actually own one, too!

I felt quite embarrassed having to push my car out of the petrol lane with a garage full of customers. The lucky thing for me was that I was actually going to skip getting petrol and go for a walk in the country side, which is very derelict. I'm fortunate that this happened to me in a more public place that's fairly close to home, as where I was thinking of going has almost no people within any reasonable distance. Just cows and sheep. Also, I was surprised at how many people said no, they don't have a portable jump starter. I think everyone that drives should buy one, because you never know when you might just need it. It's a great back up to have stored away in the boot just in case you get caught out, like I did today.

My Guluman car starter is excellent and I would recommend it. Being an 800A with 16800mAh battery pack capacity, it's one of the most powerful jumpers out there for the price, made for vehicles with big engines. So smaller engines, like what's in my car, are just no problem at all. The Guluman state this jumper can start petrol vehicles with an engine as big as an 8 Litres, and Diesel engines up to 6 Litres. Is this a slight exaggeration by the company. I don't know. I've never tested mine on anything bigger than a 2.5 Litre Diesel and 2.0 Litre petrol. But with those two engine sizes, it turned them over without a problem. However, as a safe estimate, I would say expect it to start up to a 3 - 4 Litre petrol and 2.0 - 3.0 Litre Diesel and you won't go far wrong.

Update: Since writing this post, and then looking through some of the recent reviews on Amazon about the Guluman, it appears there are quite a few customers who have said their Guluman power pack failed after a few uses. Or it won't charge up. The last thing a person needs when their car won't start is a faulty jumper! What use it that. I've had no problems with mine, but perhaps there is a faulty batch going through the system. And due to this I would say, if you are thinking of buying this product, it would be best to steer clear for a while. Or if you need a portable jump starter urgently, go for another brand.

One brand that looks to be excellent and extremely highly regarded by customers, is DBPOWER. In particular the DBPOWER 600A 18000mAh, which is now the number one best seller on Amazon. There's also the one pictured above (That's the DBPOWER 500A 12000mAh), which itself has great reviews. I know someone who owns an older DBPOWER and that has been excellent. Still holds a charge great after around 1 and a half years of ownership. RoyPow is also another brand to consider.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suaoki jump starters are not bad either. Mine has helped me out on a number of hairy situations.

Anonymous said...

GULUMAN. HAHA. SOUNDS LIKE A MONSTER FROM A MOVIE. THE GULU MANS COMING TO GET YOU!

Anonymous said...

With these the cheaper ones seem to work better and hold a charge for longer

Anonymous said...

goolooman